Longthorne Viceroy Review

The stunning Viceroy!

Longthorne Viceroy Review

Longthorne Gunmakers, known for being one of the very few English gunmakers on the gun market. However, Longthorne are better known for their stunning range of shotguns and for using the world’s most progressive barrels machined from a single piece of steel or titanium. Longthorne currently offer us a variety of sidelock over & under as well as side-by-side shotguns and so much more! In order to give you a better review, we asked the professionals themselves to review their own gun, along with some shooter feedback.

longthorne viceroy 
longthorne shotguns 
longthornes shotguns for sale 
guns for sale 
shotguns 
shotguns for sale 
gun reviews 
guns for sale

Specifications

Make – Longthorne

Model – Viceroy

Mech – Over & Under

License – Shotgun

Orientation – Right-handed

Barrel Length – 30”

Stock Length – 15”

Chokes – Multi & Multi

Calibre – 12 Gauge

Condition – New

Dealer Feedback
Craig – Gunroom Manager at Barbury Gunroom & Shooting School

Longthorne is a name that a lot of people are talking about and when you get into the nitty gritty of their guns… it’s much more than just a pretty shotgun, it’s a feat of engineering!

Every single piece of a Longthorne is produced in their factory in the U.K. and the barrels start life as a 27kg billet of steel which is machined into whichever spec the customer desires.

The shallow action means this gun is very low recoil, is superbly balanced and nails it in the… I’m bloody stunning department also with its game scene and scroll engraved side plates!

We are lucky that we have a demo gun here in the gunroom and it is always one of my go-to’s for a day on the peg, or a round of clays.

Manufacturer Feedback

Elaine & Jim from Longthorne Gunmakers

Where did the model’s name Viceroy come from?

All our trigger plates are named after British ships beginning with the letter ‘V’.

What makes this gun different from guns that are similarly priced?

Our guns are 100% made in England and our patented barrel technology ensures:

• Low felt recoil, strength, lightness, proofed for high-performance steel, light crisp trigger pulls due to exacting internal tolerances.

Not to mention we make the lowest profile 12g action which results in a low bore axis.

What 3 things make this gun reliable?

1.      Barrels machined from one piece of high-specification steel (or titanium) meaning they won’t fall apart.

2.      Our ultra-rigid trigger plate design manufactured from high tensile, chrome/molybdenum steel with an ultra-hard nitride finish.

3.      Precision machined internal components made to exact tolerances from high specification materials hardened and nitrided to ensure longevity and accuracy during operation.

What has made this model different from your other models?

This is one of our trigger plate models as opposed to a true sidelock model and the external embellishment differs from our other models, apart from this the mechanics are made to the same exacting standards as our other trigger plate models.

What would you suggest in someone’s routine when maintaining this gun?

Most important of all, clean, dry, and oil, after use and store in a safe dry cabinet, never put away without drying, this can have dire consequences.

What is the most popular repair you do on this model?

We don’t do a lot of repairs on these really, but occasionally firing pin replacement and as a wear part this would be expected, we hold plenty of spare parts in stock just in case.

What should a buyer take into consideration when buying this as opposed to having one tailor-made?

With this gun he/she would get a good compromise as although this model isn’t fully bespoke, it comes with several options which make it more personal for the owner, the fact that it isn’t fully bespoke (unlike our true sidelock range) makes it quicker and less expensive to manufacture so the customer also benefits from a lesser cost than a fully bespoke model.

What is your opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

I think they are amazing, even though I am biased, they have been made with passion and care and I know the time and effort we, as a company have put into making each and every part the best it can be resulting in a gun which is second to none, we are all incredibly proud of our patents which are a testament to our ground-breaking barrel technology and the fact that we make every part of our guns in England.

What’s the one thing that is most important in maintaining all Longthorne’s?

As with any gun TLC, regular servicing, as with any mechanical device, it will fail if it is not cared for.  If it gets wet …. dry it, and clean it regularly, if in doubt contact us, we are happy to help.

Shooter Feedback

Kristian Dickinson

Are there any obvious differences between shooting a Longthorne and say a gun you’ve shot in the past?

I currently shoot an MK38 which is a debatably good gun, but it is safe to say the engineering of the gun does show, every last detail from the way it handles to the way it looks feels precise.

The most noticeable difference in handling a Longthorne would be they immediately feel very well-engineered. By this, it almost feels like you become one with the gun due to the way they effortlessly glide with perfect balance.

Shooting the 12 you can’t help but feel like it’s a 20 due to the low-profile lightweight design, surprisingly the felt recoil was considerably lower than I anticipated.

What would make you purchase this gun given the chance?

It would be the fact you can custom tailor every aspect of a Longthorne to your own personal taste alongside them also being incredibly eye-catching.

Longthorne have managed to combine the latest technology and absolute precision engineering without losing the heritage and appearance of an English Shotgun, being from a technical background this does please my OCDs.

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun?

The gun feels very well balanced in the hands and the recoil was surprisingly soft as the gun was custom fit to the owner. Safe to say it patterned well with my Cheddite Smart Strike turn the clays inside out.

Is there anything unique about this gun that stood out for you?

The gun is an absolute work of art, the high-grade wood with beautiful depth and finish to the detailed scrollwork, which I doubt you’d find any imperfection under a magnifying glass.

Would you say this gun is fairly priced for what they have to offer?

As a mechanic by trade, the budget of this gun is more than a little out of my reach to me, however to those with higher earnings to which it is more affordable then there aren’t many brands who can offer what Longthorne do in terms of a tailored gun to your taste.

Viewers Feedback

Hugh Calloway

Overall, the design of the gun is beautiful, the detail of the engraving is at the high end of what is possible to do on a gun and the grade of wood is lovely with a great look to it. The only down point I can see is that at the price of the Longthorne’s I would like the finish of the wood where it meets the action to be smoother, not have a slight ridge and the forend is the same.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.