Perazzi Ribless Game Review

First impressions: 3/5 

At first, I was undecided about the look of this gun, yes it had sleek lines and the wood was beautifully figured and yes, the engraving was deep and well executed but I was undecided whether the removal of the rib added or detracted from the overall looks. I landed on the fact that this is a very handsome if not a conventionally pretty gun. Picking it up it felt comfortable and appeared to swing and point very well but the lack of the rib unnerved me.

Perazzi Ribless Game

Design, build and functionality 4/5

This gun is based on Perazzi’s MX12 and then designed in partnership with and exclusivley distributed by Sportarm. Its available in 12, 16 & 20 gauge with barrel lengths ranging from 28” to 32” and the guns can be made to measure either in the UK or in Italy. The gun comes in a very smart leather and wood fitted motor case.

Perazzi Ribless Game

Field Test: 5/5

I tested this gun at Ladys Wood shooting ground on a variety of targets ranging from the grouse butts to their always challenging high tower. For such a relatively small change of removing the rib the impact instantly appears enormous, the gun feels incredibly well balanced and alive in your hands. This was highlighted on the high tower where I am sure it was the gun that flattered my abilities as clay after clay shattered.

Perazzi Ribless Game

Value for Money 4/5 

When you are talking about these high figures value for money has to be taken in context of what else is in the market. Rizzini are also making a ribless game gun again in collaboration with a UK firm (Ian Coley) but this is a very different offering at different price point. When you start to look for a similar bespoke English style game gun made by well-known gunmaker with this quality wood, engraving and finish then this gun does start to look reasonable or even good value for money

Perazzi Ribless Game

Overall 4/5

Bar my initial concerns on the looks, as soon as I picked up this gun and began shooting it, I started to understand the logic as to what Sportarm were trying to achieve. When in the field or on the clay ground you forget that the rib has been removed and just enjoy how instinctive it feels and moves. If I was in the market for a new game gun with this kind of budget then the Perazzi Ribless game would be at or near the top of the list. It’s the kind of gun that the more time you spend looking and using it, the more you appreciate the thought behind the design and most importantly the more you enjoy shooting it.

Specification

• Type: Shotgun
  • Mechanism: Over and Under
  • Make: Perazzi
  • Calibre: 20 gauge
  • Model: Ribless Game
  • Barrel: 30 3/4″
  • Weight: 6lb.8oz.
  • Origin Italian
  • Stock: 15″
  • Choke: 1/2 & 3/4
  • Chamber: 2 3/4
  • Trigger: 1
  • Ejection: YES

Perazzi Ribless Game 20 gauge Prices from £16,445 for 12 gauge and 20 gauge Prices from £17,995 for 16 gauge 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.