Pro Ferrum Wet Drying Gun Oil Review

First impressions: 4/5 

The oil comes in a straightforward metal can with a plastic push button top and a plastic detachable tube for accurate application. It looks the part of a premium product with its sleek design and branding but with this kind of offering the proof is in the testing, looks count for little. It should be noted at this point that the can did not leak even when rattling around my kit bag for a good 4 weeks before I even had a chance to use it.

Pro Ferrum Wet Drying Gun Oil

Design, build and functionality 4/5 

It is described by the manufacturer as not a traditional oil but a “complex fluid” with a variety of active ingredients forming a complex molecular compound. They say it will clean, encapsulate water, protect and lubricate. From the practical perspective the can works well with a thin film of the fluid being evenly/accurately distributed when you depress the button.

Field Test: 5/5 

The sample arrived at the perfect time to do a two-stage test, firstly one of my guns had not been out of the cabinet all summer as was showing a few small spots of rust from where I had failed to properly oil at the end of last season. After spraying a small amount on these patches, I was amazed to see the rust and some dirt start to lift of the metal almost instantly. I left it for around a minute then gently wiped it down with a cloth and all the evidence of my sloppy gun care were removed and replaced with a glossy sheen. The second stage of the test was after my first day of the season on the moor when predictably it had rained. For the sake of the test I rather unfairly did not wipe of the excess moisture before applying the fluid. As soon as the fluid hit the metal it formed beads and displaced the water which could then be very easily wiped off and once again left a lovely finish on the gun.

Value for Money 4/5 

Pro Ferrum is priced along very similar lines as the majority of the better-quality gun oils with not surprisingly the larger can offering better value than the smaller. As it was a mist spray as opposed to traditional drip oil I would envisage it being more economical when used and lasting longer.

Overall 5/5 

I was very impressed with this product, I can’t verify the science but from a practical perspective it delivered on its promises. I don’t think my guns have ever been so clean as it was so satisfying watching any residue or dirt break down and lift of the surface. It really comes into its element in wet conditions as you feel confident that the moisture really has been removed and the gun is left dry and protected. I don’t envisage any reason to return to my traditional gun oils as I feel that this product would be more probably more economical and effective in cleaning, lubricating and protecting.

Specification

• Type: Gun Oil
  • Make: Pro Ferrum
  • Product: Wet Drying Gun Oil
  • Sizes: 50ml – 100ml – 200ml
  • Price: £7.99 – £10.99 – £15.99
  • Where to buy: Available to buy from Sportarm CLICK HERE

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.