ATA SP Silverline Review

The ATA SP Silverline 1 is a gun that has been manufactured as a combo model for hunters that are looking for the ability to purchase both an easy-to-handle and comfortable gun. Available with either standard steel or a lightweight aluminum alloy receiver which is accompanied by Turkish walnut wood for the stock and forend, and at an attractive price point too!

ATA SP Silverline Review

Specifications

Make ATA
Model SP Silverline 1
Orientation Right Handed
Barrel 30″”
Stock Unknown
Choke Multi & Multi
Condition New

ata sp silverline 1 
ata shotguns 
ata sp silverline 1 review 
shotgun
over and under shotguns
shotguns for sale 
gun reviews
guns

Dealer Feedback

Paul – Gunroom Manager at Wadswick Gunroom

The ATA SP Silverline range of shotguns has so many variations there should be something for everybody. With the option of Steel or alloy receivers, you can manage the weight of the gun you want. All are stocked with well-figured Turkish walnut stocks and are available in both left and right-handed options. They also have a ladies stocked variation which we are finding very popular with our customers. All models have a single selective trigger mechanism, detachable trigger sets come on the latest SP Trap and Sporting models which is remarkable at this price point. Some variations have side plates and the patterns of engravings cover all tastes from plain black to highly ornate with gold embellishment.
We find that these a good choice to offer our customers in the sub 1K bracket for a new gun and with all the variations in the model range we can find the right gun that looks and fits as the customer requires.

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom Hickman – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns?

These guns tend to have heavy trigger pulls so regulating the pull is often what I am asked to do.

They can also be very fussy on light loads, 21 grams, etc.

They don’t have enough ‘umph’ to set the inertia block back to set the second shot, this is sorted by altering the block itself. Often the stock measurements are very low in the comb, so I have to alter the drop quite a lot, however, that’s more of a manufacturing design than a fault but it’s something to be mindful of when trying one.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should look at the guns measurements, as previously mentioned they’re not set up for the majority of British styles of shooting, which can lead to miss mounting and inconsistent shooting.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

They’re basic copies of the Beretta 680 actions, so they’re tried and tested and are very popular, however, they’re missing a lack of the finishing touch and feel.

If they had a little more time spent on the final regulation making sure everything thing was slick, I think they’d rival a lot of well-known manufacturers today.

They come with lots of nice additions such as multi-choke and even adjustable combs in some models. The option of alloy actions or steel gives the customer a choice in weights the light weights are a touch over 6lb but given the choice I’d choose steel every time. I think the forends aren’t in proportion to the rest of the gun, but that’s just what caught my eye in the past.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

I think they are a great starter shotgun and look the part too, I don’t think they’re as refined as they could be, and as mentioned the alloy framed option could suit ladies or young shots going for a 12-bore, just be mindful of the lighter they are the more they tend to kick and flip in the hand.

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

At £985 I think they’re ok, I think a second-hand well maintained Miroku or Beretta etc is around the same money, just don’t rush into it because it’s brand new. There are some bargains to be had at the moment.

Shooter Feedback

Thomas Szemeti

What made you purchase this gun? Or shoot this gun if not owned? 

A friend had kept insisting that I borrow his gun which at the time was the ATA, and he thought it was great for what I needed and described that I’d “never know I didn’t like it unless I tried it”.

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun? 

There’s no doubt if you stand far enough back it looks like a good-looking gun, one you get closer you see all the bits that ATA cheaped out on.

How would you describe the overall feeling when shooting the gun?  

Loose, cheap, and rough… it feels like what you’d expect a cheap Chinese knock-off to feel like.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance with this gun in particular? 

These guns are prone to rusting on the barrel-rib joints (which is surprising given the type of coating). The downside is that there relatively new so it’s difficult to know what will fail first, whereas other brands have proven their guns can stand the test of time.

Overall I would say this gun is a cheap alternative to a proper gun, you get about 50% of what you pay for and even then, money would be better spent on coaching or a second handgun from a more reputable brand such as Browning, Miroku or Beretta.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.