The Miroku MK38 Review

The MK38 is known for being a somewhat heavy gun but this is countered by its excellent balance. A gun specifically made for a long day of shooting without too much recoil and discomfort. Available in multiple grades of wood, engraving although only in a 12-gauge calibre.

A much-loved gun!

The Miroku MK38 Review

Specifications

Make Miroku
Model MK38
Barrel 30″
Choke Multi & Multi
Condition S/H
miroku shotguns
shotguns for sale
miroku shotguns for sale 
miroku 
guns for sale 
shotgun reviews 
gun reviews
over and under shotguns 
mk38 review 
miroku shotguns

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom HickmanGunsmith at J. Roberts & Son

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns? And why?

The first thing that goes wrong with these guns always tends to be weak strikes from the firing pins as they are prone to pitting, and at the same time often mainsprings lose their strength as well. Not all that often, but sometimes the extractor log can shear off and send the front portion of the extractor out on ejection. This is an easy fix by removing the broken part, turning up a new one threading it in, The third thing is after many thousands of shots, the guns can come off the face which we can re-joint to re-tighten.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

As always the overall appearance, is very worn, and chequering, with dents and scratches all over, gluing on the barrel that has faded, and the guns being very slack on opening and closing. Pitted firing pins that will show the gun could need a decent service.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

I think these guns are fantastic. They really are bombproof they go on for many years often without any issues at all. The design is an age-old classic, which is proved to be very popular with game, shooters, and clay shooters alike. The long, thin actions make the gun feel well-balanced in the hand. The lightweight models are very popular with lady shooters as well.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

There are lots of older models with beautiful engraving and nice choices of wood. I think they offer some of the best value for money in the current market again like always be mindful of the stock measurements cause older models did tend to come with a lower comb, which often doesn’t suit everyone, some models came with wide ribs again, that’s not to everyone’s taste. These guns are really well built and would suit any shooter of any ability.

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

I think they are some of the best value guns out there at the moment, they are sometimes overlooked because they are Japanese but if you sat a brownie side-by-side, you would not tell the difference. Parts are readily available but can be quite fiddly to fit, but if it’s done during a stripping clean, that’s the easiest way to replace worn parts. 

Shooter Feedback

Monty

What made you purchase this gun? Or shoot this gun if not owned?

I learned to shoot with a Browning 525 Game One before I even knew they were made by Miroku. One day I walked into the gunroom at the Purdey Royal Berkshire Shooting School and spotted a very beautiful looking 525, highly figured wood and a sporting setup with extended chokes. It was perfect for me as I needed something that was a great sporter but wouldn’t look odd in the field shooting game. It was then that I learned of the relationship between Miroku and Browning and that what I was looking at was an mk38.

What would you have liked to have known before purchasing this gun?

The way the action connects with the stock restricts the amount of cast you can achieve. I only need 1/8 cast off with this gun to get it exactly under my eye, which was achievable, but I was told more would be unlikely. It doesn’t come with any kind of case, so you’ll need to factor that or a slip into the price.

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun?

My particular gun is perfectly balanced for sporting, gently stock heavy with a balance point only slightly behind the hinge pin. I’ve seen this vary a lot in these guns depending on the wood and barrel length, so I’d look out for that. It’s an amazing first gun. Well made, forgiving, and easy to maintain.

How would you describe the overall feeling when shooting the gun?

This is a heavy gun, made for steady sporting or FITASC shooting. I’m a larger chap so I’m happy to spend a day in the field with it but it won’t be a good game gun for everyone. The rib and mid bead are set up for trap shooting, and it shoots very flat to the rib. That’s been ideal for me but if you like to see more rib look elsewhere.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance with this gun in particular?

The same with any gun, keep the barrels clean with Pro Ferrum, a little slippery dicks oil or wax on the stock, and an annual service. Clean gently after every use and more thoroughly each week or month depending on how much use it’s getting.

This will suit anyone that wants a great looking gun, that will last several lifetimes, and shoot reliably. It’s not infinitely refined, it’s not beautifully crisp, but it’s 80% of the best sporting gun for 20% of the price. Don’t be afraid to buy used from a registered firearms dealer, I’d have bought second hand if I’d known better at the time.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.