Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon Review

The Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon is a gun built for game shooters hunting in the field. This gun is considered a level-up from your loved silver pigeon, which is also a Beretta. For more money, a better choice in wood, and finished with a slightly better-engraved action you could have yourself a Diamond Pigeon. Although, saying this, it may not be everyone’s second choice!

Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon Review

Specifications

Make Beretta
Model 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon
Orientation Right Handed
Barrel 30″
Choke Multi & Multi
Condition New
beretta shotguns 
beretta 687
beretta 687 eell 
beretta 687 eell diamond pigeon
beretta shotguns for sale 
shotguns for sale 
beretta shotgun review 
shotgun reviews 
over and under shotgun

Dealer Feedback

Lewis – Gunroom Manager at Sportarm at Lady’s Wood

The 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon is one of Beretta’s 680 series over and under shotguns, it’s a real step up from the standard 686 Silver Pigeon 1 or 687 Silver Pigeon 3 and 5’s. This model boasts elegant side plates that give the manufacturer a larger canvas to adorn with lavish hand-chased game scene engraving, complimented by a beautiful 15” hand-oiled, highly figured walnut stock that gives it an heirloom quality.  Balancing perfectly on the hinge pin and Weighing circa 7 lbs in 12 the 687 EELL handles beautifully, effortlessly absorbing recoil whilst still ensuring a lively game feel making it capable of shooting light, moderate and heavy loads. This over-and-under mirrors all the characteristics of a classic handmade shotgun but still at a price point that makes this gun well within the reach of the average shooter.

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom Hickman – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son Gunmakers

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns? And why?

The first thing that tends to go wrong is the firing pitting badly and occasionally leading to misfires, the ejectors are prone to be a bit sloppy after getting very hot, this often starts after simulated game days. They can also be fussy on tall brass cartridges, and ejection timing is quite easy to regulate but isn’t necessarily all that often. In recent years I’ve had quite a few broken extractors which is quite an involved job, but GMK holds all the spares needed and after fitting correctly and the rims cut to match the barrel, they just need timing up to match the opening. 

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

These guns have been around a long time and really stand up to the test of time. You should make sure the top lever is slightly over to the right-hand side as you look down the barrels, this indicates how used it is, if the top lever is at 7 o’clock it’ll need the next oversized locking bolt, it’ll lock up tighter and will pull the face of the barrel onto the action. I’d also check out measurements as some have got very low combs.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

I think they’re brilliant, they’ve been tried and tested over many years, and have a nice feel and smoothness to them. However, like all things they do have their flaws, The trigger mechanism is quite fiddly to work on and they have some tiny springs which do break quite often, but it all works together well as a rule.

I think the recent quality hasn’t been very good, wood to metal fit is really quite poor and often they have very strong bearings on the head of the stock and not at the back where the stock bolt runs through that’s where the recoil really needs to be a solid fit to absorb the recoil, it essentially bulges the two horns open causing an even larger appearance of gaps and can lead to cracks.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

Take the time to really check out the wood around the action as there may be small cracks and repairs are often super glued up. The chequering being really worn is always a sign of a well-used past and lastly, they need servicing as the firing pins are often a magnet for high build-up of cartridge residue and dirt. 

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

I think they’re quite expensive new, but they do last a lifetime because of the parts being readily available and they’ve well-built barrels. They often come with 3” chambers and multi chokes, so depending on the proof stamps they will be future-proof for the pending lead ban. They have a variety of engraving options, some rarer than others and some much nicer too! Wood is often upgraded, and I’ve seen some real beauties, they’re a great allrounder for clay and game alike, just like all guns have your gun checked for gun fit with someone that knows what they’re doing. 

Shooter Feedback

Lewie Benham

What made you purchase this gun? Or shoot this gun if not owned? 

My boss kindly let me take this gun on my first game day, which was quite a privilege, and what a gun it is!

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun?  

Overall, it’s a very well-balanced gun to shoot. It’s incredibly light to handle and not to mention the stunning engraving and look of the gun itself. The wood is also unbelievably special as well.

How would you describe the overall feeling when shooting the gun?  

After shooting this gun, I would say my overall feeling was that it’s a very comfortable and nice gun to shoot. It still gives me tingles when you catch the engraving on a nice sunny winter’s day!

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance with this gun in particular? 

To keep this gun in impeccable condition, I would recommend regular servicing and cleaning.

Taking all of this into consideration, I believe this gun is a wonderful bit of kit, with all the nice features. Which are all complemented by its stunning look. A great combination of parts makes this gun something very special.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.