Browning Ultra XS Pro Review

The Browning XS Pro Adjustable was specially made for competition clays for the avid competition shooter. This gun internally resembles the ever-loved 525 which if you didn’t know, is also one from Browning’s range of guns. This XS-Pro offers a minimalistic engraved action for someone who is looking for a gun without the delicacy but at the same time comes with plenty of kit for your shooting experience.

Although this gun is described as one of Browning’s older models it certainly seems to be a golden oldy.

Browning Ultra XS Pro Review

Specifications

Make – Browning

Model – Ultra XS Pro

Calibre – 12 Gauge

Mechanism – Over & Under

Barrel – 32”

Stock – 14 ¾ “

Chokes – Multi & Multi

browning ultra xs pro
ultra xs pro
ultra xs
browning
guns for sale 
gun review 
ian coley guns for sale

Dealer Feedback

Lorna Hall – Gunroom Sales Advisor at Ian Coley

It is safe to say that this is easily one of the best-equipped competition-line shotguns available!

As standard, the Ultra XS Pro comes cased with eight Invector Titanium extended chokes, two spacers, three Inflex recoil pads, and three trigger shoes. Additionally, the adjustable comb can be fully tailored, which is thanks to a clever weight and counterweight system found in the gunstock and barrel. With Grade 4 oiled woodwork and elegant framed action, this certainly remains to be a showstopper in any gun rack!

As a female sporting shooter, I found the balance to be superb. The Ultra XS has a large trap forend which is comfortable to handle, and the pistol grip is narrow and modest in the hand. Having adjusted the comb raiser to a more exaggerated monte-carlo ‘ladies’ fit the sight picture was no different to my own, this is a feature that we have now found to be a huge selling point to have on any competition gun. Given the weight of the gun, the perceived recoil for me was higher than expected, however, there was zero muzzle flick observed. I, therefore, found it easy to move through a SPORTRAP layout between quick ‘on-report’ & ‘simo’ pairs. I shot with the ¼ and ½ choke which appeared to pattern well, yet tight, for what I would identify as a more open choke. However, with the range of chokes included, there is certainly something for every target within any discipline.

I shot the 30” version which I, personally, found had enough weight in the forehand for a steady swing without finding movements cumbersome. The 32” option, which we have found to be more popular, allows Browning to cater for every size and shape of sporting shooter, be that male or female. The Browning Ultra XS Pro Adjustable is an extremely safe bet for any competition or club shooter. It is a truly versatile and attractive option, all for an excellent price.

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom Hickman – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son Gunmakers

What are the main things that tend to go wrong with these guns?

The first thing that often arises is the adjustable trigger becoming loose, as the gun comes with a selection of three different options (wider or more swept etc) it’s a great design, but they can slip and stop the second pull from firing. The bottom firing pin will start to misfire due to the retaining spring on the firing pin,  and this will rust and stop the full motion of the pin. Much like all the Browning models the firing pins can pit which will need replacing over time. 

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should look for pitted firing pins, worn chequering, and a very sloppy opening. These are all signs the guns had lots of use and could be an unwanted purchase in need of repairs and replacements.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

I think overall they’re very good, and they stand the test of time well. Parts are already available although can take a long shipping time from the suppliers.

They can have an internal rattle from the inertia block which has been known to irritate people however, small adjustments can stop that. They don’t suit everyone with their long actions and many ladies feel they’re too big across the palms so just be mindful to really see if the hand can grip it fully.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

My advice would be to keep them regularly serviced as the bottom pins do rust and will miss fire, and to be mindful of them being barrel heavy as that can make them feel sluggish and can have a ‘flip’ on mounting the gun. 

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

I do think they are reasonable for what Browning offers with the purchase. They can be so customised from new, for example, the choke options, stock upgrades, and barrel lengths. In addition to this, they do really vary in price because of the added extras.

Finally, I might add the adjustable comb and trigger really make for a very useful and versatile piece of kit.

Shooter Feedback

Enzo Napoli

I purchased this gun in 2020 I believe from Simpsons of Newmarket. I had never really shot clays before especially in a competition, but due to the pheasant syndicate I belonged to folding I thought to myself I really don’t want to give up shooting, so I decided to try my hand at clays instead. I had a look at a few guns but having always shot browning I thought I’d stick with them. Also being a right-handed shooter but left-eye dominant I found the straight stock suited me better than any of the others and having a huge amount of accessories in the case helped me to get it right for me.

The overall design of the gun is great from the dark American walnut stock down to the simple but tasteful action. You have a choice of 3 triggers to suit your needs plus barrel and stock weights so the choice of getting the gun fit right for you is endless.

In conclusion, this was a great gun that I would definitely recommend. It’s well-balanced and fully customisable to fit the needs of any shooter. I know the price has gone up since I got mine so if you’re looking to buy second hand make sure it comes with all the accessories as you will probably want to balance and fit it to suit you also check the firing pins aren’t worn, other than that it’s a great gun and you will have hours of fun shooting it.

As for maintenance on the gun, I would definitely recommend cleaning it after every use. I always kept on top of cleaning it but a few things I would like to point out is the action is prone to blemishes as it has a plain metal finish so any knocks with show up also it developed some marks which would appear to look like rust but wasn’t I’m not sure how these came about as the gun was always cleaned and dried if out in wet weather. Also, the firing pins on my gun tended to wear pretty quickly I had to have them replaced within two years it could just be my gun but I didn’t put that many shells through. On some competition days, I would have misfires, but this could have been a dodgy cartridge and not just the firing pins.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.