Blaser F3 (Custom Sideplate) Review

The Blaser F3 was built with quality and reliability in mind in addition to this, they also created these guns with a beautiful custom sideplate. This gun is available with both a fully adjustable trigger as well as a barrel selector positioned in front of your trigger, which some shooters may find more appealing. Blaser does offer their F3 model at an entry-level along with a reasonable price point.

This particular model was engraved by Jana Schilling and would look exceptional out in the field next season!

Blaser F3 (Custom Sideplate) Review

Specifications

Make – Blaser

Model – F3 Custom Sideplate

Calibre – 12 Gauge

Mechanism – Over and Under

Barrel – 30”

Stock – 14” 7/8

Chokes – Multi & Multi

blaser 
blaser f3 
blaser f3 custom sideplate
custom sideplate
guns for sale 
guns 
shotguns 
over and under shotguns 
gun reviews

Dealer Feedback

Rupert Preston – Gunroom Sales Advisor at Ian Coley

The Blaser F3 Custom Sideplate engraved by Jana Schilling combines a truly exquisite pattern of gamebirds surrounded by fine and detailed scroll on Blaser’s most popular action, the bomb-proof F3. Not only is the engraving of the highest quality, but the gun also comes complete with woodwork of the highest order to make the gun something of an absolute pleasure to view up and close in person.

Blaser have combined expert craftsmanship with exceptional manufacturing and engineering to produce a gun of the highest calibre. The F3 custom weighing in at 8lb 6oz, balances beautifully between the hands, enabling the gun to be reactive to any target, whether a tricky battue or an extreme Welsh pheasant, this gun is up to any challenge!

Having been renowned for top-quality rifles, Blaser have incorporated trigger pulls of the highest quality across its range of guns. This is no different in the F3 Custom. Crisp and smooth with little recoil, the gun allows shooters to have full confidence in the ammunition available on the market. To make things even more appealing, the gun is stamped with the fleur des lis and has three-inch chambers meaning it safeguarded for the looming reliance on nontoxic shot whilst moving away from lead.

The F3 Custom is certainly a gun that should be added to everyone’s wish list! A very impressive gun all round.

Gunsmith Feedback

Ian Mulliner from Mulliners Gunshop

As the sole UK service workshop for Blaser shotguns since 2010, we have completed over 5,000 strip and rebuild services on Blaser F3 shotguns, so it is fair to say that we have a lot of experience of working on them and dealing with the issues of both the early and later specifications.

In the main, any issues on the latest specification F3 manufactured since 2010 are generally limited to guns which have been overrun between service and not been updated, as the trigger sear, catch assembly, and ejectors function best when clean and correctly lubricated which can only effectively be done if fully stripped and the few updates are performed during service to enhance its function and reliability and as a service is only required every 25k rounds or every two years most issues are easily avoided if the gun is serviced regularly.

Like all gun manufacturers, Blaser do have the odd production issue from time to time which can lead to a gun not functioning how it should or end up needing some repair work, but thankfully due to Blaser’s automated manufacturing techniques and the legendary German build quality and attention to detail, issues are few and far between, in fact of all the F3’s we have had through our workshop and sold in our gunroom, less than 3% have experienced issues caused by any manufacturing or assembly shortcomings and all of those issues have been sorted for the gun’s owner under its ten-year manufacturer’s warranty if the gun has been serviced regularly.

Known issues on post 2010 F3’s?

1. Split or Detached forearm latch housing. The most common issue on post 2012 F3’s is with the forearm latch housings, which can split, come loose or even separate from the forearm wood, this generally happens when forearms are swapped from one gun to another without any adjustment to the forearm tension or latch engagement. The bonding agent used to attach the plastic housing in the forearm wood can also fail, which is usually down to incorrect preparation of the latch or wood prior to bonding, but easily sorted by fitting a new latch housing and or re-bonding with a stronger adhesive.
  2. Cracked or broken trigger plate. The second most common issue is that the main trigger plate can break at the main spring guide location. If this happens it will either need a new trigger plate or a laser weld repair. This does not occur on post 2017 guns or on guns which have been fitted with updated main spring guides, which is done at service when fitting new main springs. So, as long as the gun you are looking at is newer than 2017 and or been serviced recently then this issue should not occur.
  3. Rib joint Failure. The third is with side rib attachment, as the soldered joints can fail, this usually starts at the rear end of the side ribs and slowly creeps down the barrel, this is more common on barrels which have been re-blacked as the blacking process erodes the solder joint. If this occurs the only option is to strip and relay both the side ribs, which is a costly repair at around £700, so should be looked for when buying a used F3. This issue has not occurred on the very latest specification barrels with a fixed top rib available from 2015 as the process of rib attachment has changed along with the method of black finishing the barrels.

Known issues on Older pre 2010 F3’s

All of the known issues with the later F3’s can also occur on the early guns in addition to the following, with a lifter breaking being the main issue and area of concern when purchasing a used F3 of pre 2010 production:

1. Broken Lifter. The most common issue on a pre-2010 F3 is a broken hammer lifter, if this breaks it can cause damage to other parts, including the receiver main body, which can result in a scrapped receiver. The lifter has been updated a few times over the years to avoid this happening and is a part we update at service along with a modification to the receiver to go with the updated lifter fitment.
  2. Broken ejector cocking pins. The ejector cocking pins have been updated to increase strength, they are exchanged at service and the receiver is modified to accept the stronger pins.
  3. Broken ejector lock plates and lock pins. These lock plates and pins can break, which can also lead to a broken ejector. At service, we fit new updated lock plates and pins to avoid this happening.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

1. Proof of recent service and update
  2. Loose forearm latch housing
  3. Loose barrel side ribs
  4. Cracks in stock at rear of top and bottom strap

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun?

The Blaser F3 is a very well-engineered shotgun that is fully rebuildable and will last a long time if maintained regularly, so when buying, check for the manufactured production date and ask for proof of service and update history. The best option is to buy the latest specification you can and to buy from a Blaser dealer with knowledge of the F3 and the options available, that way you should be sold an F3 with the correct stock configuration for you set up to your preferred balance using Blaser’s unique stock and barrel weight balancing system.

If you have already purchased an F3, then just ensure that you have it serviced regularly, as this is key to keeping it functioning correctly and will ensure that you have the latest updates carried out on it, all of which have been introduced to enhance its reliability and life span.

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

Like all products manufactured in Germany, the Blaser does not come cheap, but then quality has to be paid for and is appreciated by those who purchase their F3’s new and also by those who purchase their F3’s used, which is supported by strong second-hand values.

Shooter Feedback

Tom Archer

What made you purchase this gun? Or shoot this gun if not owned?

I purchased my F3 super sport after a lengthy look at my competition guns and decided that this would be the best fit as I could adjust everything about it to suit my style of shooting. Although this gun is the custom sideplate edition, I have no doubt it is nonetheless a great piece of mechanics.

What would you have liked to have known before purchasing this gun? (Answer if applicable)

I’d probably liked to know a bit more about just how good it is (or how much of a difference you can make with what you can adjust)

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun?

My favourite thing about it is how well the wood is graded, as my grade 5 is sublime. The firing mechanism being a striker instead of a pin makes the trigger pull second to none and the fact it’s a true left-hander (left-hand opening) means it’s symbolic in its use.

How would you describe the overall feeling when shooting the gun?

I think with most high-end guns and the same with this, it is so well balanced. The palm swell fits my hand perfectly out of the box, making it feel almost custom-made.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance with this gun in particular?

The matte barrel needs keeping clean, and its good to coat it with the Teflon grease supplied with the gun to stop any surface rust from forming.

Overall, the F3 is the best gun I’ve shot, period. The way it handles and the way it looks and breaks I get when shooting clays give me more confidence. I’ve shot almost similar guns in the past, having not owned them but this above and beyond. Also, the fact you can borrow any set of barrels and they’ll fit your receiver as it’s so well made is an excellent perk.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.