Browning B525 Game Review

Alongside the Beretta 686, this beloved Browning has certainly lived up to its reputation. And again, priced in a similar bracket to the silver pigeon allowing these two guns to be the perfect starter gun for a new shooter.

As later described in this review, the action on these guns are labelled “bomb-proof. Which is all a new shooter could want when buying their first game gun.

Browning B525 Game Review

Dealer Feedback

Stuart Knight – Gunroom Assistant at Wadswick Gunroom

The Browning 525 game one is fitted with an influx two pad which is one of the most efficient pads out of the box, and with its rounded top means, it doesn’t get snagged on your jacket when shooting on the coldest game day. The wood on Brownings seems to be getting better and better compared to other well-known brands with Browning’s different grades, you can see a clear difference.

browning 
browning b525 game
525 game
browning shotguns 
shotguns for sale
guns for sale
gun reviews

The action on a 525 is second to none on the reliability front with its inertia trigger system that Browning has been using for years “with good reason”. We simply believe it’s bombproof, not to mention the beautiful game scene of a duck on one side and pheasant engraving on the other. This is done with high-tech lasers that any bond villain would be impressed with.

If you’re looking for a game gun that would see you right for your first gun or just to add to your beloved collection, you can’t go wrong when considering a 525 game one.

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son Gunmakers

What are the three main things that go wrong with these guns?

The bottom firing pin misfires, corroded firing pins on both top and bottom barrels, and often reshaping the butt end as the heel plates are very sharp, they usually require a replacement plate with a pad.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should look for corroded pins, as well as worn chequering, as these guns can go on for a very long time, so may have substantial wear. Finally, you should be sure to check for a very loose on opening.

What’s the most common repair work you do on these guns?

It would again have to be the bottom barrel replacement of firing pins.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

Overall, these guns are great. They have been very sturdily built and have a great all-round feel. They do need a service every couple of years minimum as they’re known for the spindle and bolt getting very much gummed up together, which makes life tricky to strip and clean them. However, all in all, these guns are well-known for a reason!

What advice would you give to buyers looking for to buy this gun? Or people that may have one in their cabinet?

It’s really great all-rounder, it comes in lots of different barrel lengths and engraving styles. They always sell well, but they have a Miroku equivalent that can surprise their prices as they’re very much the same.

Shooter Feedback

Elliot Roberts @elliotrobertsshooting

What made you purchase this gun?

I went to purchase my first shotgun and was offered a few options from the gun shop I visited. One of which was the Browning 525, its initial fit was great and felt just right for me.

Browning is the biggest name globally for firearms manufacturing and has constantly been at the forefront of innovation and development, they have so many “firsts” to their name and set the benchmark that most other manufacturers strive to meet. The main selling point for the B525 is its reliability and robustness. No matter which 525 you go for, you are getting the absolute best value for money you can get with any gun, in my opinion. It is built stronger than its competitors and will last you a lifetime. Every single Browning you buy, even their cheaper entry-level guns, are all hand-finished and hand fitted.

What would you liked to have known before purchasing this gun?

I think in all honesty, there has been no hidden surprises or regrets with this gun. It is now the oldest in my collection, and it has taken some serious beating, but it has never let me down. Even though it is probably the cheapest of my guns and less fancy, it still remains my favourite.

What did you like about the overall design, feel, and build of the gun?

The design of a Browning is functional, robust and solid. You can feel it as soon as you pick the gun up and hold it in your hands. Unlike other competitors, the action of the Browning 525 features a full-width hinge pin which is much more substantial in design than the small lugs found on competitor shotguns. The fit and finish is just more refined, in my opinion. To know a Browning you really have to handle one for yourself to see where the real difference in quality and reliability lies.

How would you describe feeling when shooting this gun?

There are three main components to the shooting of a browning that I notice. One is Browning’s patented Inflex recoil pad. This directs recoil down and away from the cheek of the shooter, reducing felt recoil on the shoulder and face. It makes for a very smooth shooting shotgun. The Inflex recoil pad is one of the best features found on a shotgun (certainly the most noticeable). The second point of interest is the action, it has a firm and reliable locking position held in place with a full-width locking bolt. This again comes down to the rigidity and fit & finish of the gun. Thirdly the weight of the 525 is perfect. It enables a smooth and consistent swing on targets.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance-wise with this gun?

For me, I would just say a regular clean after a busy shoot, and don’t forget to take out your chokes every now and then for a clean too! I think people get a bit too hung up on gun cleaning and can overcomplicate the matter. Keep things clean and take care of the gun. I shouldn’t admit it but I have gone years without cleaning my 525 and it has never failed me. That is the beauty of the B525; low maintenance, no fuss, just pure, reliable, robust and quality engineering.

Overall, the B525 has been one of the most popular over-and-under shotguns ever produced and has seen the range grow over time, offering various options depending on your preferences. You would be hard-pressed to go to any shoot and not see a host of 525s in attendance. They are one of the bestselling shotguns for a reason! I think the main selling point of the 525 can be summed up in one sentence; Buy Once, Buy Well. You are buying true quality at an affordable price point.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.