Perazzi MX12 Review

Perazzi set out to build a gun designed for the capability to shoot clays and game, and in doing so they delivered the MX12.

There is a gun within the MX12 for the experienced clay shooter looking to take their shot to the next level, but then there is also the very capable game version built for durability and reliability in the field.

This gun is also available in numerus specifications such as the entry level MX12 to the Super Extra side plate model for someone looking for something a little bit ‘extra’ should we say!

Perazzi MX12 Review

Specifications

Make Perazzi
Model MX12
Orientation Right Handed
Barrel 32″
Stock 15″
Choke ¾ & Full
Condition New
perazzi mx12
perazzi 
mx12
perazzi shotguns
perazzi shotguns for sale 
shotguns for sale 
shotguns 
guns for sale 
guns 
gun reviews

Dealer Feedback

Craig – Gunroom Manager at Barbury Gunroom & Shooting School

With over 60 Olympic medals under their belt, it’s easy to see why Perazzi are very well respected in the gun trade, out on the sporting circuit, and in the game field.

The beauty of Perazzi is the option to custom build either here in the U.K. or out in Italy at the factory, so you can pick your new MX12 action, barrel length, choke spec etc etc and then the time-consuming bit… wood selection!

The MX12 Sporter as a rule is a fairly chunky gun in the hands but when twinned with perfect balance, Perazzi have created a gun which is a pleasure to shoot, smooth recoiling, easy to control and it will always be a much more capable gun than I am a shooter! 

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son Gunmakers

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns? And why?

These guns tend to be really bomb proof for a long time, but they can often struggle ejecting tall brass cartridges, black gold etc. They may need replacement ejector springs as these are very common, once those are repaired the next thing is normally the firing pins, which pit like the vast minority of Italian guns. Other than this, the other parts that may split are the safety springs and it’ll either fly on safe after the first shot or be very tough to operate. But these are all after a lot of shots.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should look for cracks around the head of stock, as they’re thin around the top and bottom tangs. You should also look out for loose side and top ribs, there were a spell of Perazzi having a few issues with ribs springing off but that is well remedied now. As well as a loose top lever feel the springs can often feel tired and well used. The weight they have are has been considered heavy overall but that helps with recoil but some find them sluggish.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

They’re fantastic, I’m a big fan, they come in lots different variants, and I think they have some of the best all rounder guns available, as the 70s and 80s guns can be real bargains. The mechanisms are solidly built and well thought out, they are a little fiddly to work on with lots of springs and plungers but no trouble once you know how they function. Perazzi’s normally come with spares in their cases which can save lots of time for the gunsmith just to swap them over. 

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

I think they’re really great guns, but I’d be mindful of high combs as they don’t suit everyone, and I’ve known people to really come unstuck without correct gun fitting or guidance (On all other guns too).  You should also be aware that they do demand high prices because the name is known for high build quality and reliability.

Do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

I think that’s down to personal choice and budget, there are copies available but I’ve seen them with a few teething problems. This considered, when they’re in the gun rack you can’t really tell them apart and at nearly a 5th of the cost maybe some would prefer them to have the same feel.

I’ve had customers say Perazzi‘s are too plain to demand such a high price but then other say they’re the best guns they’ve ever owned and swear by them.

For me a £50 Baikal will still break clays or kill birds but a Perazzi offers a certain level of comfort and confidence. 

Shooter Feedback

Chris Hanks- General Manager and Instructor at Sportarm at Lady’s Wood

What made you purchase this gun?

Being a big guy, the weight and slight palm swell also suited my strength and size. I have always loved the feel, balance and simplicity of the Perazzi MX12 design, and since purchasing my MX12 in 2016 I haven’t regretted the decision doing so.

What did you like about the overall design, feel and build of the gun?

As the gun fits me like a glove and, it really is a pleasure to shoot. I don’t feel recoil from game or high-performance clay cartridges. I find it easy to control my shot and create the pictures required to break a target or cleanly kill challenging game birds.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance wise with this gun in particular?

I would recommend regular cleaning, including removing chokes. If you shoot your MX12 regularly a yearly service from your local gun smith, is also recommended! For me the MX12 is a fantastic all-round gun suitable for clay and game shooting. With a wide range of engraving, stock quality and barrel length available it is a gun for all to seriously consider.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.