Beretta DT11 Review

The DT11 is Beretta’s attempt at a gun ‘better made’ than their beloved DT10, and features different mechanics designed for the avid competition shooter.

Beretta DT11 Review

This gun features barrels that are made from a new alloy called Steelium, the option to order with or without the palm swell, and they’ve also built the joining ribs further forward to offer a weight saving gesture for its owner.

We’ve started to see more of a regular appearance of this gun along with Beretta’s 694, which we hope to review in the future!

beretta dt11
beretta dt11 review 
beretta shotguns for sale
shotguns for sale 
gun reviews
over and under shotguns

Specifications

Make – Beretta

Model – DT11

License – Shotgun

Orient – Right-Handed

Barrel Length – 32”

Stock – 14 ¾ “

Chokes – Multi & Multi

Origin – Italy

Condition – Used

Dealer Feedback

Craig – Gunroom Manager at Barbury Gunroom & Shooting School

The DT11 needs little introduction to the seasoned clay shot and is regarded as one of the most robust, reliable performing guns on the market and, is shot by the best shooters, worldwide. 

The DT11 is a hand finished gun which features a cross bolt locking system, detachable trigger group (which is where the DT bit comes from) with Nickel coating and blue inlay to finish. 

That action combined with Beretta’s Steelium pro barrels, make these guns very smooth in the shoulder and balance beautifully on the hinge pin without having to add a load of weight to either end.

Available in skeet, trap and sporter with the options of 28-30-31 and 32″ barrels and wood options to suit every shooter, fixed or adjustable comb and 3 different forend options. 

The gunrooms DT11 demo gun is the one that goes out most often, and 9/10 bring it back in with a smile on their face, followed by… do you take part exchange and I’d better have a chat with my wife!

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom – Gunsmith at J. Roberts & Son Gunmakers

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns?

• Being fussy on lighter loaded cartridges as in not switching to the other barrel after the first shot. 
  • Some careful regulation required. 
  • After a lot of shots, the bolts can jump open especially shooting very fast punchy cartridges. 
  • And sticky safely catches.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should check the opening on the bolt to make sure there is some bite remaining and the top lever isn’t passed 6 o’clock. This is because if it is, it’s a sign it’s had a lot of use.

They should check for cracks in the head of the stock just back from the top and bottom tangs, and peculiar stock measurements, as these guns are a staple of clay shooters and often can be altered by the previous owners to suit them, but it may not have been to a professional standard.

What’s the most common repair work you do on them?

We tend to be gluing up minor cracks and relieving stiff safety catches on these guns.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

Overall they are great guns, they have a very different feel to any other beretta in their range, much bulkier and solid feeling, they come with detachable trigger units so you can re-lube and clean as needed. Which is great for any shooter.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet?

These guns hold a premium as they’re so popular, they did lots of different models with some very nice engraving too, even with the side plates they can be very sort after and can demand very strong money. Mechanically they very good, as you can swap triggers to suit each hand as necessary for the perfect fit.

Shooter Feedback

Gary Cooper

What made you purchase this gun?

I have had my DT11 for a few years now, I actually started shooting with an old 682x but a friend of mine decided to gift me his DT11 when he retired from shooting. He knew that I wanted to be at the top of my game and could see no better way of helping me on that journey than by giving me the tool that would enable me to reach that next level. I already had my eye on a few second hand DT11’s on Guntrader but I was extremely fortunate for luck to fall on me in such a way.

What did you like about the overall design, feel and build of the gun?

I have always been a lover of Beretta, the way they handle, the looks and overall build quality.
When you look at a gun you can instantly tell whether it’s a Beretta, the distinct action is known worldwide and is a hallmark of a quality gun. A Beretta is the kind of gun that will often outlast its owner, and that’s no exception when it comes to the DT11.

The solid feel that you get when you close the action is one that never fades. Just seeing the DT11s cross bolt locking into place gives you that extra confidence when you’re on the stand, knowing that you have an absolute clay bashing machine in your hands. Not only this, but it also has superb lines like that of an Italian suit make you look the part too.

How would you describe the overall feeling when shooting this gun?

The DT11 shoots superbly for a gun in its price range. It’s balance and handling are such that it truly feels like it’s an extension of you. It has the ability to break clays and simply make them disappear. This will be down to the fact that the DT11 patterns exceptionally, especially when matched with a good quality cartridge. It’s longer than usual forcing cones and good balance also make it a very smooth shooting gun, allowing you to focus on keeping the line of the clay and swinging through to your second shot.

However, it’s not all praises for the DT11. In my experience I found that the DT11 gives no mercy – where some guns seem to almost allow for a slight margin of error, the DT11 will not. If you’re not absolutely 100% on your technique, she will make your day on the clays a hard one.

What would you recommend people keep on top of maintenance wise with this gun in particular?
Like every gun, if you look after it it’ll last you a lifetime. Beretta make some especially hard-wearing guns. If you’re looking for a low maintenance gun then Beretta should be your go to – but please look after them, some of these guns are like works of art and it pains me when I see a rusty one.

Overall, the DT11 is a quality gun without a doubt. A beautiful design which is both mechanically brilliant and aesthetically pleasing, plus its outstanding handling shows that they are a gun for serious competitors.
I wouldn’t recommend this gun for a beginner but if your technical ability is at the level where you need you need to progress with a gun to match it, then this is the gun for you

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.