The Browning Ultra XS Black Laminate Review

This gun is one of Browning’s competition guns and a stylish one at that. Its woodwork has been coated with black laminate which is set to increase moisture resistance amongst other objectives.

The Ultra XS Black Laminate also features a plain action with the only detail being its model branded on either side.

The Browning Ultra XS Black Laminate Review

What we like

• The black laminate
  • The matt-blacked barrels

What we don’t like

• it’s chunky

Other Models:

• Ultra XS Pro Adjustable 12M
  • Ultra XS Adjustable True Left Hand 12M
  • Limited Edition Ultra XS Pro Adjustable 20M
  • New Ultra XT Pro Adjustable 12M
  • Limited Edition Ultra XS Pro The Crown Adjustable 12M
browning shotguns 
browning ultra xs
browning ultra xs black laminate
shotguns
shotguns for sale
shotgun reviews
over and under shotguns

Specifications

MakeBrowning
ModelUltra XS Black Laminate
Barrel32″
ChokeNot Listed
ConditionNew

Dealer Feedback

Rob from R & B Sporting

‘The Browning Ultra XS Black Laminate is a fantastic affordable alternative to the walnut stock we all know and love. Overall, it is a very high-quality clay shooting gun at exceptionally good value.

As standard, the gun is presented cased with a full set of 8 Invector Plus Titanium Extended chokes. Also available in L/H.’

Gunsmith Feedback

Tom HickmanGunsmith at J. Roberts & Son

What are the three main things that tend to go wrong with these guns? And why?

• The adjustable trigger often comes loose.

This is because the gun comes with 3 different options. Those being wider or more swept etc. It is a great design however they can slip and prevent the second pull from firing.

• The bottom firing pin.

This is due to the retaining spring on the firing. This will rust and stop full motion on the pin.

It is common for all Browning models to need firing pins relacing as they tend to pit.

What should a buyer look for when looking at this gun?

A buyer should look:

• Pitted firing pins
  • Worn chequering
  • A sloppy opening

These are all signs of a lot of use and may result in a lot of repairs and replacements.

What is your overall opinion on the design and mechanisms that make this gun?

Overall, these guns are very good. If they do need replacements the wait time on parts is minimal as the suppliers are great.

Sometimes there can be an internal rattle that comes from the inertia block, but I have easily adjusted this to prevent further irritation.

I will say that they don’t suit everyone and especially for women they can be too big across the palms. Therefore, my only recommendation would be to see if this fits you well before purchase.

What advice would you give to buyers looking to buy this gun? Or people that have one in their cabinet other than the usual cleaning advice?

Regular servicing and a thorough cleaning regime will help maintain any gun but in particular, this will help prevent rust and miss fires.

When buying new, do you think this gun is fairly priced for what it offers you as a shooter?

I’d say these guns a fairly reasonable for what they offer. From new, they can be customised with different chokes, stock upgrades etc. However, the price will vary with the additional extras or changes.

Finally, the adjustable comb and trigger really make this gun a useful bit of kit.

Shooter Feedback

Enzo Napoli

I purchased this gun in 2020 I believe from Simpsons of Newmarket. I had never really shot clays before especially in a competition, but due to the pheasant syndicate I belonged to folding I thought to myself I really don’t want to give up shooting, so I decided to try my hand at clays instead. I had a look at a few guns but having always shot browning I thought I’d stick with them. Also being a right-handed shooter but left-eye dominant I found the straight stock suited me better than any of the others and having a huge amount of accessories in the case helped me to get it right for me.

The overall design of the gun is great from the dark American walnut stock down to the simple but tasteful action. You have a choice of 3 triggers to suit your needs plus barrel and stock weights so the choice of getting the gun fit right for you is endless.

In conclusion, this was a great gun that I would definitely recommend. It’s well-balanced and fully customisable to fit the needs of any shooter. I know the price has gone up since I got mine so if you’re looking to buy second hand make sure it comes with all the accessories as you will probably want to balance and fit it to suit you also check the firing pins aren’t worn, other than that it’s a great gun and you will have hours of fun shooting it.

As for maintenance on the gun, I would definitely recommend cleaning it after every use. I always kept on top of cleaning it but a few things I would like to point out is the action is prone to blemishes as it has a plain metal finish so any knocks with show up also it developed some marks which would appear to look like rust but wasn’t I’m not sure how these came about as the gun was always cleaned and dried if out in wet weather. Also, the firing pins on my gun tended to wear pretty quickly I had to have them replaced within two years it could just be my gun but I didn’t put that many shells through. On some competition days, I would have misfires, but this could have been a dodgy cartridge and not just the firing pins.

The Verdict

Overall, this gun appears to be a very well-manufactured. It doesn’t scream stunning but what it does say is sturdy, which you’d expect after a lot of use with any gun.

If you’re looking for a gun that does its job with minimal repairs this may be one to consider!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.